Monday, August 3, 2015

Week 6: D&C 60:7-8

Hello everyone! I have been on my mission for almost a month and a half now!! Crazy! Time has flown so fast but I am loving every second of it! This week has been good, even if we still have no people to teach, haha! It is a little discouraging at times but at the end of the day we still feel accomplished and know that our efforts aren't wasted.

So to count someone as an investigator we have to teach them a lesson and have a return appointment set for the next one! A lesson has to include an opening and closing prayer and at least one gospel principle or something like that. We have three people who we see regularly but we just talk on their porch so we can't count it as a lesson! It pretty much is though.

First, there's Gabe! I don't know if I've talked about him in past emails but he is a guy who grew up Mormon but is now kind of agnostic. He can talk forever!! Seriously, he just keeps rambling haha! It is pretty funny but tiring. We visited him on Saturday and he was like "Sure, I got a few minutes!" and he came outside to talk to us. We left his house like an hour and a half later... haha pretty much it's just us trying to answer his questions and concerns and standing there listening to him! He has some very strange ideas for sure!! He is nice though, that's for sure.

Michael is another guy we visit about once a week and apparently his wife doesn't like Mormons but he thinks we're pretty cool. He can also talk a lot, but thankfully not as much as Gabe, haha! Our visits are also a lot shorter with him but still meaningful! This week he told us that he had been going through some marital problems and that talking to us made him feel a lot better! We think he has a lot of potential, but he hasn't read through the Book of Mormon or the pamphlets we've left him. He's a great guy, though!

Eddy is someone who we met by accident! We went to see a potential investigator and it turned out the the potential had moved but Eddy was like "Hey it's cool it's cool, you guys are good people! Come on by whenever you want!" and we were like oh okay awesome! So he a little agnostic as well and the funny thing is when we visited him the second time is was like total deja vu, he had no recollection of the previous visit! He pretty much said the same exact thing and when Elder Mattson asked if it had been him we had talked to the other day he was like "I don't think so man", but it was definitely the same guy... we think he must have been drunk or something haha! Anyway he is really nice and fun to talk to and he definitely has potential as well!

So our district has three companionships, and they are me and Elder Mattson, Elder Jones and Elder Hansen, and Sister Richey and Sister Reed! We aren't allowed to really hang out with the sisters so they're like an awkward third wheel, haha. We see them once a week at District Meetings and during lunch afterwards. It is pretty funny. Elder Jones and Elder Hansen are with us a lot though and they are really fun. Elder Jones twisted his foot while playing frisbee and so we went on exchanges again for a night so his companion didn't have to spend all day inside with him! It went pretty well and I got to drive for the first time since I left! It was pretty good, but it felt weird.

So we actually never went and visited the family I talked about last week! We had other appointments come up and so we are seeing them this week I think. Brother Hente (our ward mission leader) is still a little wary about teaching them because we aren't sure how fully committed they are. Who knows!!

Here's a random story! So a couple nights ago at like 4:30am a car alarm started going off in the apartment complex parking lot!! I wanted to die! Elder Mattson moved to the couch in the living room but I had some earplugs so I just put those in. However the earplugs didn't completely block out the sound so I didn't sleep much the rest of the night!! It was pretty annoying. Now that I type it out I realize how lame of a story it is but I guess it's a "you had to be there" kind of thing :)

Here's a scripture I found this week that I love!
"And in this place let them left up their voice and declare my word with loud voices, without wrath or doubting, lifting up holy hands upon them. For I am able to make you holy, and your sins are forgiven you.
And let the residue take their journey from St. Louis, two by two, and preach the word, not in haste, among the congregations of the wicked, until they return to the churches from whence they came." (D&C 60:7-8)

It actually does say St. Louis haha! How much more applicable could that be to me?! I love it! :)
I love all of you!! Thank you for always being amazing and for the support you've given me :)

Love, Elder Hayes

Address:
2103 Woodale Ln.
St. Peters, MO 63376

Photo: I didn't take many photos this week haha sorry!! This is me chilling by my desk. I made my name out of mormon.org cards :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

html, body { background: url('http://imageshack.com/a/img540/4931/zD10QK.jpg ') no-repeat center center fixed; -webkit-background-size: cover; -moz-background-size: cover; -o-background-size: cover; background-size: cover; }